Tuesday, September 10, 2019

What is School? Where am I? What's going on? All Valid Questions


    Welcome back, my two loyal readers. I will give a half-hearted apology for not updating earlier. I admit that I have entered by biannual Glee phase, during which I obsessively watch clips from the show on YouTube (even though I’ve never watched the show in its entirety) and convince my musically-inept self that I too can hit the high notes like Lea Michele. In reality I cannot. My only consolation is to listen to the glorious bop “I Will Survive/Survivor” on repeat- highly recommend. This entire escapade takes up a great deal of time. 

    So what have we been up on the other side of the world? Trying to speak Russian, mostly. School is shaping up to be a bit of beast this semester. It’s always been my strong suit, but I’ll be doing quite a bit of adjusting.  I’ve made the horrible metaphor that trying to understand Nuclear Policy in Russian is like looking at the wall at the end of a Ninja Warrior course and feeling like you’re only destined to run into the vertical section. Alas, do not despair! There is almost nowhere to go but up!

     We’ve also been assigned conversation partners who are fellow students at Daugavpils University; Dasha and I like to stroll the streets and parks of the city as I struggle to form coherent sentences. She’s actually been awesome, and a great example of the active listening technique where you summarize what someone has said to you. Of course, sometimes these summaries of my ideas differ quite a bit from what I have intended to say but at least someone feels I might be able to generate legitimate thoughts.

     On the home front, my host mother and I had recently expressed our mutual love of chocolate. Her collection is extensive and hidden all along the cabinets in the kitchen. After I expressed my interest in baking, she has requested the quintessential American Brownie. I’ve decided to pull out all the stops (espresso powder, Dutch cocoa, dark chocolate chunks) so long as I can find the ingredients. Also, as far as I know we don’t have anything in the States that is Black Currant flavored. And let me tell you, that is a tragedy. I’m coming home with a whole freaking book of new recipe ideas, people. Prepare thyselves.

    With regards to food, I will add a minor tangent and say that I despise Herring more than most anything that I have ever encountered in my entire life. And no, I’m not being dramatic. Russian mustard, on the other hand, will always have a special place in my heart. It has been one of the few things I have encountered with any kind of spice or kick. Michael was smart enough to have brought a bottle of Sriracha with him, but I might have to make an international expedition to secure a sauce that is capable of potentially bringing tears to my eyes.

   Speaking of tears, we have had the fear of all things holy and gracious instilled in us with regards to the coming winter. The last two weeks have been absolutely beautiful, the perfect prologue to PSL-worthy sweater weather. But there will be no Pumpkin Spice Lattes for me this year, and November is apparently the stuff of nightmares. Last year there was a total of 37 minutes of sunlight (without clouds or rain) during the entire month. That’s like, less than two episodes of Brooklyn 99. So I can expect the first few days to be kind of neat and poetically depressing, but by week two my Spotify might be dominated by Evanescence. “My Immortal”, more specifically.


Mindy and I enjoying the (fleeting) perfect weather.

      One of the highlights from this last week was getting the chance to kayak along the Daugava River outside of the city. Mindy and I managed to tolerate each other for five whole hours and kayaked 25 whooping kilometers. Just kidding, Mindy is a darling. I only threw her off the kayak twice. It was really gorgeous, and the water was completely still for most of the journey, which would’ve been cool if we didn’t need to paddle the entire time. But in actuality, much of the tree-line seemed to have been taken out of a painting, and we had a nice few hours of girl-talk and bonding. Sometimes it’s hard to think that we’re thousands of miles away from home- you could’ve gone down the river thinking you were in Pennsylvania. In other moments, you are so aware that you’re far from home that it hurts a little.

     One of the most striking things about Daugavpils is the number of buildings that look like they might be falling in disarray on the outside. Along Riga Street, the main street in the city, most of the exteriors have been restored to make the city look like the central transportation and trading hub it once was, but it’s hard to ignore that some of the buildings look like they’ve been extracted from pictures following World War II. We were able to go on a tour of the city earlier this week, and it really feels impossible to wrap our heads around how much history these streets have seen. For example, one of the restaurants we ate at last week was converted from an old Gestapo prison. Another building we drive past on the tram every day used to be the headquarters for the KGB in Daugavpils.

Although you would never be able to tell from the way the buildings look now, it’s undeniable that this city and its people have seen many things, and a lot of them were at history’s lowest moments. Before WWII there were around 55,000 Jewish people who lived in Daugavpils (out of a total population around 100,000), and there were 45 synagogues. Nowadays, the estimate is around 400 people, and the only synagogue in town has an attendance of around 8 or 9 per service. There are a lot of things we read about in history books and try to understand, but being in a place like this is something else altogether. The events of the past have made waves upon the present, even if the ripples hide in the smallest places.

Those of you who have known me for more than about 15 minutes probably know that my parents are immigrants from Poland. I had the chance to spend some summers there as a kid, and although there are obvious differences between Poland and Latvia, it’s been a little strange to feel both out of my comfort zone and weirdly secure. Some of the Latvians we’ve encountered have marveled at the names of the cities the American students come from, in the same way that many of us are intrigued by where they’ve been able to travel within Europe. My reality (as I see it) is that if only a few things had happened differently in the 1990’s for my parents, I could be just like any of the students at Daugavpils University. I could’ve grown up thinking about what life in the United States must be like. I could’ve wanted so desperately to go to college in the U.S. or to even visit something as iconic and American as the Statue of Liberty, but I didn’t. Eastern Europe could have very easily been my home- all the things I find strange or am adjusting to could’ve been my day to day life. And that feeling has been odd, to say the least. My roots might be here(ish) but I'm an American, through and through. 

Right now, my heart and my home is with my people. I love you guys (and please drink as many PSLs for me as humanly possible). 



1 comment: