Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Beginning of the End Pt. 1


I know, I know, I know. I’m terrible and haven’t written in forever. You can complain all you want or you can like, oh, I don’t know, read the bullet points. This post covers some of our more recent escapades, I’ll put one up in the next few days about October and November shenanigans. BLUF (ugh, I’m cringing sorry): all is well, a few funny things have happened, and we’re pretty much all ready to come back home.

·       November actually had sunlight! I know a heck of a lot of you won’t care, but it’s a big freaking deal. In case you’d forgotten, last year’s November had 37 minutes(!) o sunshine. We’d been expecting an endless downpour and the world’s most diverse set of depressing greys, but on occasion we saw colors that are actually on the color wheel. Mind: blown.
·       The Navy crew has visited a local high school to help give the students practice talking to native English speakers in their English classes. This exchange has basically dissolved into us talking to the same four people who aren’t afraid of us or quizzing the students on random American facts. This is all fun and dandy until you open the floor to questions and have to tackle explaining police brutality to a bunch of Latvian teenagers. There’s been a pretty big tendency to ask questions that we consider fairly controversial, and half the time we wonder whether if it’s the students trying to corner us into equally controversial answers. But what’s really interesting is seeing what foreign young adults/ teenagers know about America and what they want to know from Americans. There’s also this custom that I can’t quite grasp- only male students approach to say good-bye and thanks, and only reach for a male midshipmen’s hands to shake. This led to a very awkward exchange in which I also reached out my hand to one of the students and he seemed rather taken aback and unsure of what to do- I feel like it’s fairly customary to shake both sex’s hands in the United States but clearly the custom doesn’t carry over. And as much as I can dismiss it as a cultural difference, I would be lying if I said that the interaction didn’t irk me.   
·       One of the unexpectedly cool experiences we’ve had here was judging a children’s Christmas-themed poetry recitation competition. The school we help at has an annual Jingle Bell festival that will give you a cuteness overdose. For context, the winner of the competition was a seven-year-old boy named Deniss who recited a poem about his love of dancing (this year’s theme-hobbies), and his “Cha-Cha” was accompanied by some smooth jams and an equally small partner who performed the cha-cha flawlessly. Y’all, I am not exaggerating. This kid was freaking wild. I had a few tears in my eyes just because he was like a tiny Misha. Fearless.
·       This competition began with a video of Santa’s hobbies- with some different kids from Daugavpils dressed as Santa doing their favorite things. At one point “Santa” was dancing and doing magic tricks, and this grand escapade was all set to Katy Perry’s “Swish Swish”, which was a, um, interesting directing choice. Made for some stellar entertainment, though.
·       At one point a group of 6th grade girls came out in the intermission and performed a rendition of Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” (arguably the most iconic Christmas song of all time). At first I was skeptical of how good this performance could possibly be, but I also figured that this would be one of those moments where someone shocks you with an absurd amount of talent. That is not what happened. This performance was iconic in the sense that I wasn’t able to look away from uncoordinated choreography, butchered vocals and vaguely matching Christmas sweaters. I should say that I greatly admired the courage these girls had to go all in and sing a hit that isn’t in their native tongue. There are moments in which I wish I could have the same attitude as sixth-grade me. Granted, sixth-grade me had just been introduced to wearing sports goggles while playing volleyball so I was in an interesting point in my life in general, but (regardless), I think there are a lot of moments of courage we don’t understand when we’re young. I’m sure half of you would be paralyzed at the thought of standing up in front of a group of strangers with your friends and swaying to the hymn of Christmas’s biggest diva. So although the performance was far from professional, it was still freaking remarkable.
·       For those of you who were curious on the Misha “Captain Obvious” situation (which I detailed in one of my previous posts), Misha is currently a Youngster. Also, whenever Misha acts out of character or is generally more aggressive, we call him Mike. Because Misha is the kind of guy who will weave you a flower crown and make sure you know you look stunning, but Mike will roast you out of nowhere.
·       I turned 22 a few weeks ago, and my host mom got me the greatest gift I could’ve possibly imagined. I came home to a chocolate bar and a jar of peanut butter (I mean it was creamy and I’m Team Crunchy, but it was dank nonetheless) and I was incredibly grateful because my current jar of peanut butter at that moment was only half-full. She said that every American student she’s ever hosted loves peanut butter, and she has no idea that I’ve been buying it for myself this entire semester. I thought I would have to cut off my dependence on it in Eastern Europe, but some things just won’t change.
·       Around Halloween we traveled up to Estonia. For the geographically-challenged people out there, Latvia is sandwiched between Estonia to the North and Lithuania to the South. Daugavpils, where we study, is nearly halfway between Riga (Latvia’s capital and the largest city in the Baltic States) and Vilnius (the capital of Lithuania). It’s hard to articulate how different Latvia and Estonia are- even though it was only a four hour bus ride to Tallinn, the city feels Scandinavian rather than like its southern neighbors. I damn near cried when I saw oat milk again. Wow, if that’s not the most classic privileged American sentence I’ve ever written, I don’t know what is. Estonia is known as a center of technological progress and it shows- it felt like stepping into the future and returning to Latvia felt like a blast to the past. Also, I lost my phone in a mix-up that ended up in a nasty conversation with my Uber driver in which he thought I basically implied that all Estonians are liars and thieves. Erki, if you’ve somehow found your way onto this page I am so so sorry and I swear that is not what I meant. I love your country and your people were very welcoming to us. So that was an unexpected and massive cost that I had to account for. Whoops.
·       My speaking partner from the local university shared the two critical criteria that the Latvians use to identify Americans in Daugavpils. Apparently we have large backpacks (can’t deny that- I stuff my gym clothes in there every day along with half of my worldly possessions). But more interestingly, we also carry massive water bottles. Although carrying a large water bottle is commonplace at the Academy, the concept doesn’t really transition here. I can probably count the number of times I’ve seen a local drink water on one hand. It’s a little distressing. And I feel like a freak for trying to feel at least relatively hydrated.
·       Our trip to Estonia was also the birthplace of one of the most important and iconic parts of this trip- the emergence of Team Wholesome™. The group here has generally divided itself in two- the party-goers and the stay-at-homers who like to bake cookies, put on foaming face masks and cook absurd amounts of food. With regards to foaming face masks, I highly recommend but also give the warning that they will grow on your face and potentially make you laugh uncontrollably to the point that your friends are concerned for your sanity. Most definitely not speaking from personal experiences (*nervous laughter intensifies*). Also I have a tendency to cackle which has only made its appearance a few times during this trip, thankfully.
·       I’m coming to the realization that I’m a bit of a homebody and Team Wholesome (who is responsible for absurd amounts of baked goods) is where I belong without a doubt. The West Point cadets and Mindy and I are some of its core members, and I have to say- we house good vibes only. If you’d like to apply we’re looking for spirited members who will tolerate the amount of cheese products Andrew (one of the cadets) buys. Send inquiries directly to me.
·       There’s something really sad about knowing that a lot of the inside jokes we have here will die in about four weeks. Most of them revolve around not quite understanding Russian (even if we kind of do), and of course the jokes won’t be funny when we get back because no one is expected to know the language. Also people don’t understand babushka culture so that’s gonna be fun to explain.
·       As our time in Eastern Europe slowly comes to a close, it’s hard to believe that the next few times I see things will be the last time I see them for a long time (or forever). We’re all so ready to go home that it would be easy to dismiss the next two weeks and think about the first things I want to do when I get back, but I vowed to myself that I wouldn’t be overcome by pessimism in the homestretch. I don’t know if I’ll be back in this part of the world in the next decade- or in the next fifty years. There’s an odd sense of not really knowing what I’m not going to see again-and what I haven’t seen at all. Even while walking today in Riga, there are countless streets and parks I’ve only ever seen once or twice. I’m excited to be home and grateful for every moment I’ve had here (even if I’m packed on a tram in a way that even sardines would quiver), but there’s no denying this chapter is coming to a close soon.

                                                                                                                Love, 

                                                                                                                   Roz

P.S. There's plenty more to cover- I swear I'm going to be updating in the next day or two. Or maybe three. Probably three. 


No comments:

Post a Comment